Wednesday, July 18, 2012

July 13, 2012


Hola!!!

So it's been my first couple of days at the MTC!! So far I've had a blast here. There have been a few funny stories that have happened since I've gotten here so I'm just going to start from the beginning. So when we first pulled into the MTC, I started to freak out... There's security and everything so I had no idea what to expect. As we pulled to the curb to my number, which was allllll the way at the end by the way, I see my host waiting for me at the side. He definitely looked more nervous than I did for some reason and I have no idea why. It was actually pretty awkward. Right after you guys left, we started walking to the building where I got my nametag and they checked me in and all that stuff. Getting my nametag was the part that made all of this really real for me. I was officially a missionary at that point. It was CRAZY! After all of that, my host took me up to my room. I set everything down and then I hear some say, "COMPANION!" I had no idea who it was but I turned around it was Nick Jesperson! I can't believe that we actually got to be companions. He was in my ward last year at school so it's been a blast being able to be with him all the time just because we both know how to work hard but how to have a fun time also. Let's just say I'm very happy I got a good companion for my first time.

After that, my host told me that I needed to get a notebook and to get my scriptures and head to my classroom. I started to look for my scriptures but I couldn't find them ANYWHERE! I started to panic. I had no idea where to even look. I started to unpack all of my bags and dig through everything. I was freaking out. I started full on sweating because let's not forget it was like 100 degrees outside and I had my suit coat on and everything. Jeesh, this was so embarrassing. After about like 10 minutes I FINALLY found them and could go to class.

So my host drops me off in my classroom and I see a bunch of really nice looking people. My first teacher was there and boy she didn't waste any time AT ALL! Her name is Hermana Van Vliet. She just started rambling in Spanish. I was about to cry... I was so confused and so scared because I had no idea what to expect. And I definitely didn't expect that. After a few seconds I began to collect myself and I realized that I could actually understand what she was saying. We started talking and I found out that I'm only in the MTC for 3 weeks because I'm in the advanced class!! I was so happy to hear this. But at the same time, I started to freak out because that's the same length that the English speaking missionaries are here for, so the fact that I'm basically going at the same pace as the English missionaries, definitely made me really nervous. That day class wasn't bad just because it was only about 45 minutes and we basically just got to know each other and stuff. All in Spanish of course... There are only 8 people in our class: 4 Hermanas and 4 Elders. And want to know the best part? 4 of them are native speakers, and 2 of them grew up speaking Spanish in their house. Then there's Elder Jesperson and me. Even the whitest girl in our class in full on fluent with a perfect accent and everything. I just sunk down in my chair because I knew I was definitely the worst one in the class haha oh well!

That same night we got to see practice lessons being taught by some other missionaries who have been here for a while. They asked for our input, which was honestly pretty hard just because some of the investigators were pretty hard to get through too. I could only imagine doing all of this in Spanish. The rest of the night was just orientation and all that stuff so nothing too exciting happened there. Throughout the day though I saw about 10 people I knew from my ward at school, which was definitely pretty cool. We took a picture and everything but I'm not sure how to send those to you yet, but when I do, you'll see it haha. But that was basically my first day.

The next day class really began to start. We only had class for 3 hours that day but even that seemed like an eternity. We basically just learned our purpose as missionaries and how to say all of that in Spanish and how to convey that to our investigators. At the end of the day we got to meet our branch presidency and had interviews with them. They called the district leaders that night and say hello to the new district leader of district 11! Basically I'm just in charge of the people in my class and I'm their favorite person because I get to bring them the mail everyday. I was pretty excited when I got called to be the district leader just because it gives me some other responsibilities. I'm already super busy but having something else to do besides speaking Spanish all day is a relief. To be completely honest that day is just a blur at this point because for me, I can barely remember what day of the week it is just because we do the same thing everyday and it all just blends together.  Let me just be the first to tell you, 6 hours of Spanish a day can reallllly get to your head haha it was such a long day and I know it's good because all my thoughts were in Spanish, so I know I'm definitely improving pretty fast. But let me give every future missionary out there one piece of advice. NEVER give your first lesson on Friday the 13. We had to give our first lesson yesterday and I thought I was going to throw up. I was SO nervous and to be completely honest, it was not good at all. Nick and I definitely both agree. We're still trying to learn all the church terms in Spanish so that was the hardest part for sure. Luckily that was the last part of the day so after that we got to go back to our rooms and relax for like an hour before bed. It was a LONG day yesterday for sure. We both decided that it was our first wall that we had to break through because both of us weren't in good moods just because we were tired and frustrated with ourselves because the language isn't really coming to me quite yet. I thought I was pretty good before, but boy was I wrong. Going to sleep last night was definitely something to look forward to. The worst is when your alarm goes off at 6:30 the next morning and it feels like you just shut your eyes.

So I'm running out of time on the computer but I just wanted to say I miss all of you guys a TON! Thanks so much for everyone who wrote me letters, and sent me cookies, and all of that stuff. I really appreciate it while I'm here because getting mail is the best part of the day for sure. I love you all SO much and miss you a ton but thanks so much for your support :) I'll be able to e-mail you guys again next week but not until Friday. So until then, Hasta Luego!

Love, Elder Riches
Elder Kyle Riches
MTC mailbox #227
CHI-SATN 0910
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604

No comments:

Post a Comment